Under the current system for equestrian athletes, in order to keep people safe and minimise the risk of spreading the virus, the sport has defined those who will qualify as elite athletes under the Elite Athlete Exemption provisions as follows as of 17 May:
- Exemptions may be awarded to athletes on the World Class Government funded Programme at Podium, Podium Pathway and Podium Potential level.
If athletes do not qualify for an exemption under the BEF elite criteria, ‘elite’ will be classified as:
- Riders who have achieved 70%+ in the Grand Prix / Grand Prix Special; or
- Riders who have achieved 75%+ in the Grand Prix Freestyle at a CDI/CDIO/CDI-W within the last two years; or
- Riders who have been longlisted for selection for FEI European Championships (including all Senior, Under 21 and Under 25 Championships) or FEI Nations Cups or FEI Finals (including the World Breeding Championships) and qualify under the relevant selection criteria / policy.
- Riders who have been part of a counting 5* Nations Cup squad in 2019/20, qualified for the World Cup Finals in the last four years or were selected for Rio 2016.
- Riders who have been longlisted for selection for FEI European Championships or FEI Nations Cups or FEI Finals.
- FEI Category A & B athletes
- Riders who have finished in the top 10 at a 5* CCI FEI competition in the last two calendar years
- Riders who have earned their jacket pocket flag with in the last four calendar years (Senior Flag Only)
- Riders eligible for 5* CCI FEI competition other than those above, subject to approval by BE, the relevant Performance Manager and Senior Selectors (and their Home Federation if applicable)
- Riders who have been longlisted for selection for FEI European Championships or FEI Nations Cups or FEI Finals (including the World Breeding Championships).