skip to content

Registering an imported horse

If an equine is imported from a third country with a valid passport under EU law, and stays for more than 90 days, you should register the equine with a UK Passport Issuing Organisation (PIO) within 30 days of the horse's arrival into the UK. British Equestrian is a registered PIO and is able to log these details for you or, alternatively, you can approach another PIO. A list of UK PIOs can be found here.

A valid passport is one that has been issued by:

  • a recognised body
  • a national branch of an international organisation or association
  • a competent authority

All valid passports must contain food chain status pages. 

If you would like British Equestrian to register your horse's details, even if the passport has been correctly identified with your ownership details ,you can download our imported horse form. If your address details aren't correctly identified in your passport, you'll need to download our ownership change form, where the details will be updated and Defra notified. More information can be found on our changing ownership pages.

Imported horse form

Ownership change form

What happens if my equine is imported without a valid passport?

If your passport was issued by a recognised body but can't be amended to comply with the regulations, a PIO will need to either:

  • reissue the passport if the food chain status is clear from the medicine record with correctly added pages
  • issue a duplicate/replacement passport if the food chain status is not clear

If the passport was not issued by a recognised body, then a PIO will need to issue a duplicate or replacement passport.